Saturday 9 May 2015

Still Recovering

This is my first full day, my second day home from hospital.  I am still not at one hundred percent but showing signs of improvement.  Both my hands are fully functioning now and I am able to type normally.  I walked at least three miles today following a morning nap and did grocery shopping without a cane and I didn't miss it though I paused to rest on a bench twice, then in a café for an iced Americano.  I also stopped to pick up some vitamin B12.  My days of vegetarian smugness are over.  I will continue to go meatless but as of today I have lost my bragging rights.

When I got home I had lunch and put the finishing touches on the drawing I did while in hospital.  Here is a Google image of the bird:   It's called a Pompadour Cotinga, yet another bird from Colombia.  They croak like frogs and I believe it got it's name when a preserved (dead) specimen was found in the hairdo of Madame Pompadour.  Well, what did you expect: that it should sing like a nightingale and owe its fame to the private aviaries of John Gould?  It's a striking if not exactly gorgeous bird and I began drawing it the day after I was admitted in hospital.  Suffering some paralysis in my hands I wanted to assure myself that I was still able to draw.  I named the drawing "Bird of Hope" and credit being able to do this while in hospital to some of my process of healing.

I then researched the subject of my next drawing (another bird of Colombia, of course, a hummingbird called a Lazuline Sabrewing:   Ain't he a beauty?), then went down for a nap while listening to interesting talk on the radio, mostly dedicated to mothers, since it is Mothers' Day tomorrow, and some of the weird angst that mothers often go through over their kids.

I have stayed home or close to home, taking care to not over do things.  I am eating well again but still tire a bit easily and expect to be going to bed early tonight.

I consider myself enormously blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment