Thursday 21 May 2015

Uphill

But that is always the route to full recovery.  Today I walked some seven miles and had two work assignments.  This afternoon it did feel as though I was walking uphill but on my doctor's advice I am gradually pushing my limits until I feel fully recovered.  This morning I was blessed with a cancellation, and I still get paid for the time, and treated myself to a walk through the West End and a very enjoyable coffee shop stop to drink an iced Americano and work on a drawing. 

When I arrived at the bus stop I had walked three miles and still felt pretty good.  Following a review meeting with a client and the occupational therapist I bussed to my last appointment way at the other end of town.  Following an extended coffee visit in the local Starbuck's with my client (I only go to Starbuck's if there are no other options and that happens to be the only coffee shop in this neighbourhood) and a short walk together, I decided to walk partway, or four miles, home. 

This is when I really felt the challenge.  I stopped in a cheap produce market and continued to walk as far as the Canada Line train.  I have to admit that now that I'm home I don't feel particularly tired though I am glad to be finally home from work.

It is an easy formula for recovering my complete strength since my week of hospitalization early this month.  I started by trying to recover walking my usual five miles a day.  After a week of this I can walk about three miles without getting tired.  Extending the limit to seven miles a day means I will soon be walking five miles without tiring, and so on.

There is no real recovery without real effort.

And the weather today is fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment