Wednesday 8 December 2021

The Peacock 361

 "You're sure that is what you want to do?" says Carol.

"Right now, after three days here, I can't say that I'm sure about anything.  And I imagine that you would feel quite the same."

"Quite indeed.  Who was that friend of yours, whose diary you are reading with Carl."

"He lived with my father and I for five years. Died when I was twenty.  He would have been already in his thirties.  Jumped off a bridge, or so the story goes."

"How awful.  Were you very close?"

"He was family.  Not simply like family.  Kenny became family.  I lost my brother."

"You are an only child."

"That I am."

"I am very sad for you."

"For being an only child?"

"No.  For your loss.  You already know about my story as a younger sibling.  You don't want to imitate my good fortune."

"Do you think you'll ever see her again?"

"Tina?  God only knows."

"Would you like to see her?"

"As I said, God only knows.."

"

No comments:

Post a Comment