Friday 10 December 2021

The Peacock 363

 "Do you think that father Griffin will be coming around again?" I ask.

"I rather doubt it", says Carol.  "For all his sanctity, the man has terrible pride.  And today we did find his achilles heel."

"His racism."

"If you  could call it that."  She looks down quietly.  "I suppose I should be one to talk, After my own episode with Francois.  What is it about this house where one is always being caught off guard."

"I should be the one to know.  I don't think that any of us is going to come out looking our best."

"Yes, we do want to look our best, one would suppose", says Carol.  "You know,something, when I began attending St. James five years ago, I really pulled out all the stops in order to look my best.  As though dressing for dinner, except that the meal was going to be the eucharist.  Then one morning, I slept late, and didn't have time to doll myself up.  So, in a twinkle of mischief, I simply pulled on the same pair of jeans that I wore the day before while working in the garden.  They weren't really dirty.  Then pulled on a T shirt and sneakers, and off I went.  Mother was quite appalled.  But that became, shall we say, my church uniform."

"God doesn't care how we dress."

"He is only concerned with the condition of our souls..."

No comments:

Post a Comment