Monday 13 December 2021

The Peacock 366

 "Why did Aaron and you arrive late?"

"There is a cabin nearby.  And seems to be at least partly inhabited."

"A cabin, you say?"

"If you take this path far enough to the left, you come to the border of the property, and it opens up to another trail.  I went there this morning and eventually came across a meadow or a field, and that's where the cabin is.  I didn't go in, but on the way back, I saw it again from the road, so Aaron and I thought we'd check it out.  The door was unlocked and we made rather an unusual find in there.  Apparently it's a wristwatch that belonged to Carl and Melissa's father, and also two family photos of Carl and Melissa when they were children in Amsterdam.   We thought that Carl and Melissa would like to have them so we brought them back."

"How very strange!" says Carol.  "Whom do you think put them there?"

"Your guess is as good as mine."

"Do you think it could be connected to the death and disappearance of their father?"

"Who only knows."

"Mystery upon mystery upon mystery!  You know, Christopher, staying in this outrageous mansion has become for me like an Agatha Christie novel rewritten and illustrated by Salvador Dali!"  

"This has been getting creepy", I say, getting up.  "I'm going back for dinner.  Coming...?"

No comments:

Post a Comment