Saturday 4 December 2021

The Peacock 358

 "There's an awful lot of drama here. Drama and intrigue", says Carol.  "And to think we all came here for a rest.  Well, today, I have been taking it easy,  laying low so to speak.  I did make the mistake of sitting in on the last bit of the meeting this afternoon.  But really, aside from chatting with Melissa and a bit with the two new ladies here, I have been simply escaping for long walks or reading my book here in the garden.  Melissa, by the way, is a most fascinating young lady.  Did you know that she has a black belt in karate?"

"She did mention something."

"She is like Diana Rigg in her role as Mrs. Emma Peel from the Avengers detective series.  Did you ever see the Avengers? A fascinating drama comedy spy series from the sixties.  And Diana was way ahead of her time, karate chopping and judo flipping felons that got in her way.  She was an inspiration to many young British girls from back in the day.  Me included."

"I imagine she keeps her brother in line."

"Carl", then she coughs lightly.  "Deplorable young man.  just deplorable."

"I like him."

"But he is so bloody shameless and indiscrete.  He is so dreadfully Dutch!"

"Part of his charm."

Sucking back a good draught of air, which makes her mouth pucker in a way that makes me want to laugh, she says, "Oh, I suppose so."

No comments:

Post a Comment