Saturday 18 December 2021

The Peacock 371

 There is a knock on the door.  Then it opens slowly, revealing Carl's face peering in on me.  I have only just awoken.  It is almost seven, and I wonder if I am going to miss breakfast.  Then I notice that I am fully clothed.  I never go to bed without stripping to my underwear.   Carl is smiling.

"Have I missed breakfast?"

"It isn't tomorrow yet", he says smiling.  "We are about to start dinner.  Hungry?"

"How long have I been sleeping?"

"I would guess for about two hours", he says, perching on the edge of the chair.  "How are you?"

"Kind of groggy.  But I don't know, yet.  Here, let's see if I can stand up."

Carl offers me his hand, which I gladly accept, as I plant both feet on the floor.

"So far, so good?" he says.  "Let´s see if you can stand up. "  He pulls me up by the forearm.  I feel wobbly, and almost lose my balance.  But now I am standing.

"What happened to me?"

"I think you had another episode.  Do you remembered what happened?"

I suddenly see in my mind's eye again, two women.  An English matron, maybe around sixty.  Dark, dyed hair, tall, rather handsome and impeccably dressed, with the kind of look that clearly takes no prisoners.  And then a shorter, rather frowsy looking woman, Dutch, I think, wearing glasses, nicely dressed in a brown dress and aqua cardigan.  She is almost doubled over weeping.


No comments:

Post a Comment