Friday 9 September 2022

The Peacock 632

 I have not notice those umbrellas before.  There are perhaps a half dozen of them standing in the big ceramic urn, perfectly enveloped in themselves as though they have never before been opened.  Carl picks three from the urn and hands us each one.  And then I notice that they are all the same, and as we step outside in the cool wet and fragrant air, each umbrella opens up into a rainbow splendour.  They are lovely and eye-catching.

"Where did you buy these?" I ask.

"Walmart", says Francois cynically.

"That is exactly where I bought the umbrellas", says Carl.

"What!  No way!" say I.

"They were on sale.  Got 'em for five bucks each"

"Yeah", says I, "As if you really need to save money."

"Hey!  I'm Dutch, ain't I?"

No comments:

Post a Comment