Sunday 25 September 2022

The Peacock 648

 "What time is it now?" say I

"Almost six", says Carl, glancing at his watch.

"How far are we from the house?"

"We should be back in less than ten minutes."

"Where are we now?" says Francois, and I can tell he is feeling uneasy.

"We are not lost", says Carl.  "I've walked here before.  Let's go."

"What are your future plans?" I ask Francois.

"Well, I have left the priesthood."

"No way" says Carl.

"I just broke the seal of the confessional.  That is unpardonable.  And if I disclose it to another priest, I am thoroughly cooked as to having any future at all in the church.   We'd might as well say that it's over, and let me find something else to do."

"Any ideas?"

"I have had extensive training in clinical psychology, plus, while in college, I worked part time in a mental health boarding home, and they gave me a good reference.  I am returning to Montreal this Christmas, and will probably stay there..."

No comments:

Post a Comment