Wednesday 21 September 2022

The Peacock 644

 The sunlight has disappeared again behind a new bank of cloud, and it appears it is going to rain again.  We have been walking for over an hour, but we are moving back towards the house, and likely will be in time for dinner.  We have been mostly quiet since Francois' confession.  Carl and I are, of course, gobsmacked  We don't know even how to begin to respond to the convoluted nightmare he has just shared with us.  But he has come out okay, and I am going to take care not to cheapen his journey by making such a glib assertation to my new friend.

"Have you been back to Rwanda?" says Carl., 

"I was born in Canada", Francois says quietly.

"Conceived in Rwanda."

"That would be correct.  No, I don't want to go there, at least not yet.  Not ready to face those ghosts."  Then he turns around to face us both and says, "I am about to do something very sinful and very horrible."

"What do you mean by that?" says Carl, incredulous.

"I am going to break the seal of the confessional.  There is a secret I no longer want to carry alone..."

No comments:

Post a Comment