Friday 23 September 2022

The Peacock 646

 But the best is still to come.  This person did not come to me to confess and be absolved for burning and hacking to death the innocent.  He wanted to be absolved for burning down a church.  To him, that was the most grievous possible sin.  When I asked him, with difficulty, and do you not want to be forgiven for the Tutsis you had butchered.  He replied, oh but that was during the war, and I was simply carrying out orders, and besides, we really wanted our country back.  I bluntly told him that there can be no absolution until he thoroughly and with great lamentation and remorse confessed his crime against humanity, and then I ordered him to leave the church and the monastery, to return to Rwanda and hand himself over to the authorities, and to the church, and then to make his confession to a Tutsi priest.  And then I said, by the way sir I happen to be Tutsi.  And one of those men you murdered happened to be my father.  And then I said, get out of here now, because if you are still here when I step out of this booth, or if I ever see you anywhere on the grounds of this church or monastery, I will personally kill you myself...

He was never seen again, and then I had a complete nervous breakdown.  My superiors treated me like shit, as is their tendency to anyone showing weakness, and that is when I phoned you, Carl, to please come and rescue me...

No comments:

Post a Comment