Tuesday 20 September 2022

The Peacock 643

 "Are you still in contact with the Gagnon's" ask I

"No, only with Etienne, who texts me from time to time.  From Emma, nothing, nor do I expect to hear from her again.  Nor do I want to. Madam Gagnon is in failing health and they have put the house up for sale."

Francois, understandably, appears grim and solemn, and I wonder if it might be time to change the subject, or at least to shut up altogether. Carl appears not to have that sense of mercy.

"Francois", he says, "Do you think that maybe Emma's behaviour towards you, and there is no way that I am trying to justify or rationalize it, but could this be her way of coping with the death of her father?."

"What she did was monstrous.  I still haven't forgiven her  Now, please, can we talk about something else?"

"Please, let us know if we can help you in any way", says Carl.

"Yes.  Thank you.  You are both very kind to hear me.  But, please, let's not talk about it further, not today anyway.  and please, let's not say anything to anyone else.  I don't want the others to know."

"You have my word, Francois", say I.

"Mine too", says Carl.

No comments:

Post a Comment