Monday 3 June 2024

The Peacock 1261

" I'm sure you're not serious.  Please, that area is so awful and depressing.  You say you two are going to be working there?  How did that happen?"

"By chance, the other day I ran into an old friend I haven't seen in many years.  He is working there with the homeless, and just yesterday he took Francois and I on a tour.  So, he thinks we would both be good at it, so tomorrow he will be trying us out."

"I never would have imagined.  Where do you know him from?"

"Chuck?  That is quite a long story."

I am simply not about to go there with Chelsea.  I have already revealed too much to her this morning.  She is not entitled to know these things.  Plus, I seem to remember that morning, when Chuck left, seeing a little girl playing with chalk on the pavement in the house next door.  That would have been her, perhaps around eight or nine years old back then.  She looked up when I walked Chuck out to the sidewalk.  And after we hugged each other, stared at me as he walked away, with hard and suspicious eyes.  No need to give Chelsea any more dots to connect...

No comments:

Post a Comment