Tuesday 20 July 2021

227

Carol betrays no expression or feeling.  Simply she says to Carl, "Where did you find that?" 

"It's the magic of Google", he replies.

"Yes, but, what led you to search for it."

"Would you like the whole truth?"

"And nothing but, if you don't mind."

"First, tell me please, how you came to know Father Griffin."

"Well, I moved here to Canada to be with my mother, as shes was already well in her eighties and becoming frail, and widowed for the second time.  And really, my career in music seemed to be coming to a standstill, what with  younger and more energetic talent now crowding the scene, I suppose just as I once did so many years ago.  I of course began attending St. James with my mother, since it gave us more time together, and I found, and still find the Anglo-Catholic style of worship to be very lovely and uplifting.  Father Griffin did take an immediate interest in us both, and I think his knowing me as a performance artist of his admiration certainly seemed to help.   It would have been about two years ago when he began telling me about the two of you, Carl and Melissa, and your wonderful place here.  He thought it would be good for me to get away..   I imagine he told you about me."

"Robert thought it would be wise if we did a little research about you and your family, especially Tina your sister.  There seemed to be some blanks we wanted to fill."

"Yes.  Quite."

"Do you have any questions about the article I just read to you?"

"I am certainly surprised, and pleased, that things turned out for her  better than I'd imagined.  but this still doesn't tell me why she did nothing to stay in contact."

"She obviously didn't feel welcome."

"I daresay that I can't understand why."

Melissa snaps, faking a British accent, "And I daresay that I simply cannot understand why you are being so obtuse and dense about everything, Carol..."

No comments:

Post a Comment