Monday 26 July 2021

the Peacock 233

 We all seem tired, and diminished, by the spectacle that has just passed.  Aaron and Jesús are chatting listlessly in Spanish.

"What are you guys talking about?" Melissa asks.

"I'm just helping Jesús fill in some of the blanks.  That was a lot of English for him."

"or maybe you're talking about us", she says.

"Oh, Melissa", says Jesús with a giggle.  "We have much more interesting things to say."

"Touché!" she says, and is Melissa actually smiling?"

Francois, standing up, says,"This has all been particularly fascinating", he says.  "And now, I would like to excuse myself.  Thank you so much for the warm welcome you have given me here."

"Francois", says Carl, "For us you are family."

"We especially want you to feel safe with us", Melissa says, solemnly. Carl gets up and enfolds our African Canadian brother in a warm and sustained bearhug.

As Francois passes Melissa, she also reaches out and hugs him gently.  I think I notice a tear on her cheek as he leaves for his room...

No comments:

Post a Comment