Saturday 24 July 2021

The peacock 231


"Those earrings were meant for me", says Carol, now barely able to restrain her anger.

"You must have known that your mother had changed her will", says Melissa.

"I imagined she had had some attacks of conscience about my sister, of course.  But those earrings were mine.  Are mine!"

 '"And you didn't know any of this before?" asks Aaron.

"This was all just sprung on me right now.  If this is a joke, then it has just been performed in the most abominable taste!

"I have all the other visits between your mother and sister recorded here.  I was going to use them in a future article for my magazine."

"I do beg your pardon, Carl", she is now roaring, "But if I see any of this in print for the public you will be hearing from my lawyer and that very soon, young man!"

"We have already been in touch with him.  He has agreed not to do anything."

"This is one absolute fucking outrage!  I have never in my life been so abominably treated, and no I am not going to apologize for dropping the F bomb, now it is my turn."

"Carol" says Carl, "What would it take for you to begin talking to your sister?"

"Do you mean to blackmail me?"

"If you reach out to your sister", Melissa says, "Then Carl won't run the article."

"A bargaining chip?"

"If you wish", says Carl.

She remains seated, now very quiet, as though thinking very and awfully hard.

"Please give me a week to think about it.  Then you should have my answer."

"Fair enough", says Carl. "fair enough..."


No comments:

Post a Comment