Monday 5 July 2021

The Peacock 212


"In the meantime, I was already being entered into competitions, and I was winning almost every single one of  them, competing against kids older than me, with more years of practice, but I still excelled.  One of the rock stars who was regularly bedding her, later credited her with ending his marriage, since his wife had walked into the bedroom at the moment of flagrante delicto.  The scandal hit the gutter press, no one would shut up about it, and this sent poor Tina into a mental institution where she stayed for two years.  I remember going to visit her sometimes with Mom and Dad on Sundays, not too often.  They went every week, but I had piano practice and lessons to keep me occupied.  But my poor sister, looking so sad and broken, like a fine porcelain vase that had fallen down the stairs, not broken, but so chipped and cracked that no one would want to use it again.

"We didn't really talk much to each other.  I was simply taking it all in.  And I really didn't want to see her, but somehow I thought it was making my parents, especially my mother, happy, so I did keep going, maybe once every couple of months with them, if only to make them happy.  To this day, I still don't think I have forgiven her for abandoning me that night when she went away.  

"But when she was finally released, a few months later, as she got better, and became pretty again, one of the rock stars, not the one whose marriage she had ruined, started to contact her.  It turned out that someone had heard her singing, perhaps while in the bathroom.  So, he coached her in voice production, and actually made a minor star out of her..."

No comments:

Post a Comment