Friday 16 July 2021

The Peacock 223


"But you were also a singer."

"I never became famous, not like Carol, but I still held my own for a while.  The problem wasn't I didn't know what I wanted to be.  The Beatle whom I steadfastly refuse to name, who is not to be mistaken for that other Beatle, whom I also steadfastly refuse to name, though everyone knows who he is, who accused me of wrecking his marriage, but the first Beatle, really l had a sincere desire to see me do well.  Actually, he was the only one whom I didn't go to bed with, and we came to enjoy a very fraternal kind of bond together.  He was particularly kind and gentle.  Which I especially needed after the hell I had just been through.  Let me see, now, repeatedly raped by Daddy till i was thirteen, and started fighting back, then there was that incident when I was fourteen that I still refuse to talk about, so don't even think of asking.  But I also abandoned my little sister, then six years old, to go out on such a romp that I was really surprised that my parents didn't end up locking me in my bedroom for the rest of my life.  Followed by my trysts with you know who and the resulting carnage and then two years in the loony ward.  When he helped me get on my feet as a professional singer, he really showed me a lot of care and tenderness, and patience, and diligence.  

"You were favourably compared to Mary Hopkin."

"I was scorned as a mere imitator.  No matter how could my voice or stage presence, I couldn't match her output.  I had to accept early on that I was destined to go on in life as a warm up act."

"But then you reinvented yourself and went classical."

"I didn't do too bad.  But there wasn't much of a market.  Except every year, I was the soloist soprano in the local production of the Messiah and every Easter for Bach's St. Matthew´s Passion.  I did try Baroque opera, but was rather a disaster with Purcell, I'm afraid...

No comments:

Post a Comment