Thursday 15 July 2021

The Peacock 222




"Your life has been quite a roller coaster ride."

"Cartwheels and somersaults by the bushel!"

"Where shall we begin?"

"At my most brutal beginning.  Of course I could already seeing you dancing around the subject of my father, but that knowledge has long been public domain, and I have come to terms with it.  It perhaps wasn't wise of me to reveal everything in that interview back in the nineties, but I was so fed up with everything.  And carol, my sister, was of no help whatsoever.  She wouldn't even speak to me, not until I finally persuaded her to come visit me and then I told her what happened.  About the sex, or the rape I experienced form our father.  She didn't take it well, I'm afraid, and this has further estranged us.  neither was I in a very good way at the time.  I was still drinking, I was ill and recently widowed and raising three strong and difficult children, all of whom, I am glad to say, have turned out rather well.

"I understand that your son Jeremy has become already quite an accomplished playwright."

"I daresay that I must have given the poor lad a good share of raw material for some of his plays!"

"He has admitted in the past (I actually had the pleasure of interviewing him two years ago) that some of his work is almost frighteningly autobiographical.  And what about your two daughters?"

"I am deeply and profoundly proud of them both."

"Emily is now a harpist with the London Symphony."

"That she is.  And Lara is a street counsellor, working particularly well with survival sex workers.  And now there mummy is an artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment