Sunday 25 July 2021

232

 "By the way", says Carl, "For everyone's information, Carol and Tina's mother slipped into a coma just moments following her final conversation with Tina, and she never woke from it."

"That I remember very well", says Carol, now hunched down in the armchair, appearing suddenly very defeated.  "I am just so awfully amazed, shocked and saddened that no one told me about their visits."

"What would you have done had you known?" asks Melissa, who appears to have not even a tincture of pity for what Carol must be going through right now.

"I would have put a stop to it."

"Is that still the way you feel?" says Carl.

"I am suddenly so confused right now about how I should feel, that I really don't know how to answer this.  Could you please give me a week to make up my mind, or at least to clear it a bit?"

"How do you feel right now?" I ask.

"Betrayed.  and exhausted.  And trapped.  And I should have known I had this coming."  Now she gets up off the chair.  She does look weakened and diminished right now.  

"Now if nobody minds, I would really like to call it a night right now."  And she turns around, and shuffles out of the room and towards the grand staircase that will take her up to the sad and dark privacy of her borrowed room...

No comments:

Post a Comment