Friday 23 July 2021

The Peacock 230

 mom: how are my grandchildren?

Tina: Well, as you know, I don't get to see them as much as I'd like to.  They're all so busy, but we text each other a lot, and they are always asking about you.

mom: Do thank Emily again for that lovely recording she sent me.  I have been laying it nonstop.  you must be very proud of her.

Tina: I am proud of all of them.

mom: And so you should be.  It was so lovely getting to meet them all Sunday.  I only regret that I never knew them growing up. (she pauses, and begins to cry a little)

Tina: Oh Mommy, please don't.

mom: They are so much better, nicer, than Carol's girls.

Tina doesn't answer.

mom (composing herself): and Jeremy is so handsome.  What is the weather like right now?

Tina: Oh, ghastly as ever.  not too cold, but gey and drizzly.  You know how it is here.

mom: It seems about the same here.  I haven't been outside for so long.  Too weak, you know.  Did the earrings arrive.

Tina: (holding up two round fire opals.)  Here they are.

mom: I wanted you to have them.  Carol was expecting them, but you really should have them.  Father Griffin did all the work so you have him to thank as well, darling.  By the way, it is all done.  Yesterday we redid my will.  You get half, of everything.

Tina: I wasn't expecting that, Mommy, I don't deserve...

mom: Nonsense.  You are every bit my daughter as Carol is.  I have been very unfair to you, darling.  At least now we can have some peace before I go.

Tina: you appear to be getting tired, Mommy.  Would you like me to call you back?

mom: your sister is going to be here all day, Tina.  perhaps we could try tomorrow morning.

Tina:  Bye-bye, Mommy.  I love you.

mom: I love you too, Tina.

Tina: hugs and kisses, love.

mom: You too, dear.  Bye...


No comments:

Post a Comment