Sunday 5 September 2021

273

 "I would like to say something, if I may", says Francois.

"I'm sorry", says Father Griffin, "I don't believe we have met."  I can tell he is being dismissive of our African friend.  I can now put my finger on it.  Despite all his Christian and sanctimonious talk, no matter how he claims to have repented, Robert Griffin is a racist.  I see it all over him.

"My name is Francois, and I came here more than six months ago."

"Yes, I see.  And the police wanted you for something?"

Carol erupts, "They only wanted to bother him for being black.  Ignorant, racist idiots!"

"But he must have been impolite to them."

"Excuse me, Robert", says Francois.

"Father Griffin, if you please."

"To me, you are Robert.  And by the way, I also happen to be a priest.  Roman Catholic."

"Is he from the monastery?" says Robert to Carl.

"Robert", says Carl.  "It´s time  for you to leave."  He is not smiling.  I have not yet seen this face on Carl.

"You mean to say you are kicking me out?"

"I am kicking you out.  And when you have repented of your racism, then you will be welcome back."

All eyes are upon Father Robert Griffin.  Knowing that his time is up, he slowly raises himself from the chair, and straight, erect, and hopelessly proud, strides out of the room, out of the house, onto the driveway and into his car.  The driver's door sounds with a bang like cannon fire, and soon we all hear the sound of tires on gravel as he goes far away from this house and from whatever he had in this house, to his own private destination unknown....

No comments:

Post a Comment