Saturday 4 September 2021

The Peacock 272

 "Robert", says Carl.  "Before you reach for your phone to text my mother, I think there is something you need to know.

"I wasn't about to text your mother", he says, putting his smartphone in his jacket pocket.

"Last year, she signed this entire property and house over to me."

"I was never informed."

"Because it's none of your business", says Melissa.

"So, Melissa and I, our word here, in this house, from now on, is law.  And the first thing we have already decided on is the immediate dissolution of the community that you have set up here in the east wing of this house.  Don't worry, anybody, you are not being evicted.  But I am calling you all to come and live with us here, not just secluded in your own little ashram but to participate with my sister and I and with the others here insomuch as they would like to participate, to forming something that is new, and healthier than the toxic cult you have turned this place into.  Anyone who doesn't like the idea is welcome to leave immediately, and I am sure that Father Griffin here will help provide you safe conduct out of here."

"Are you out of your mind?" says Robert.

"Robert, you don't have to stay if you don't want.  Only if you are prepared to agree to our terms."

"I would like to think about it."

"Father Griffin", says Carol, "What you mean to say is what you cannot control is something that you are not going to be part of.  That is correct, is it not?"  She is smiling.

Father Griffin was just getting up as though to leave, but now he sinks back down in the chair, muttering, "This is a mutiny..."


No comments:

Post a Comment