Monday 6 September 2021

The Peacock 274

 

We are gobsmacked.  I don't think anyone was anticipating this outcome.  First Douglas, now Robert Griffin,  Both gone, both in disgrace.  Exiles.  Absolute disgrace.  Absolute exiles. What happened?  We are all seated here in the reception room, Hardly touching our coffee or Peak Freens or Celebration biscuits.  Aaron appears particularly shaken  I would imagine that with Douglas he was hoping to achieve closure.  But closure is a phantom, forever hoped and longed for, but always elusive.  Kenny used to say that, I think, about reconciling with his past.  He wanted closure.  and eventually admitted that all he could do was hope.  He simply would have to accept the ruins and the rubble, try to build on it, or leave it behind.  So, he left it behind.  And never returned.

The three women all huddle together on the sofa, as though forming their own little refuge.  To my surprise, the one in her forties, Jennifer, seems to want to say something.  She clears her throat.   She is  handsome woman, in rather a plain, unadorned way.  Greying blonde hair held back in a pony tail and a nicely constructed Nordic kind of face.  Her eyes are pale blue, clear, and rather kind.  I could feel very good talking with someone like her.

"I have something I need to say",she says.

"Jennifer", says Carl, "It is always a delight to hear you speak.  What's on your mind?"

"Well, I'm speaking as the de facto leader of the community.  I actually was basically but then Doug completely usurped me.  A complete misogynist who would not take direction from a woman.    And Robert was completely in cahoots with him.  My hands were tied.  I could do nothing...."

No comments:

Post a Comment