Monday 13 September 2021

The Peacock 281

 "For us three, even though we had our occasional differences of opinion", says Maureen,  "This kind of brutal and bitter squabbling was unheard of. And in front of our dinner guest.  Jennifer was telling Sarah that the fireworks are a waste of time and public funds and harmful to the environment and traumatizing to wildlife, and Sarah was irate because she was the only one here who really wanted to have any fun and here she was living with a couple of killjoys, which is largely true I am afraid to admit, and then me telling them both to behave like adults, and the two of them firing back at me that I always want to control everything around here, and I said, but of course, whose roof are we living under, and then how dare I use my privilege as currency, and on it went, with all kinds of jabs, and bickering and insults and gaslighting.  And there was our guest, just sitting there, apparently enjoying the show.  Sarah was threatening to move out, and Jennifer was telling her good riddance when Jean Pierre announced that it was time for him to go,  We were suddenly all gobsmacked at our incredibly bad manners.  I profusely apologized to our guest, and the other two remained silent, but then they both apologized to me, and then to each other, but by then it seemed almost too late, the damage was already done.

"We went inside the house, and we all begged our guest to please stay for a sip of coffee and some of the wonderful cheesecake that Sarah had baked that day, but he gently insisted that he had already overstayed, and begged us to not see him to the door, but Sarah went with him anyway.  And Sarah will continue from here,"

"Well", said Sarah, between bites taken from a chocolate bourbon cream that she holds delicately between her fingers, "  Jean-Pierre had just closed the door behind him before I could properly say goodbye to him.  But then I heard something rather odd.  There were a couple of voices, male voices, so I looked out the window, and there he was stepping into a big black car that had been obviously waiting there for him.  After they drove away, I went back to tell the others, and suddenly we knew that we had just been spiritually violated..."

No comments:

Post a Comment