Sunday 19 September 2021

The Peacock 287

 "Wait a minute", says Carl. "Did any of you actually know Robert?"

"I did", says Sarah.  "I was attending St. James back in the day."

"That's where I know you from ", I interject. 

"Oh, that's right", she says to me.  "That's why you look familiar.  And now here we are?  Small world, eh?"

Then Sarah says, "By the way, I might as well 'fess-up now.  "I also already knew Isabel."

"I do say", says Carol, between mouthfuls of a vanilla cream.

"And you never told us anything", says Jennifer.  "Sarah!  Explain, please."

"Isabel followed me one day to St. James."

"What!" says Maureen, thoroughly dumbfounded.

"Just after Jean-Pierre started staying with us.  She was standing well away from the bus stop, looking at her phone.  I didn't even think she was waiting for the bus, but she got on right after me, and then sat two seats away, just behind me.  I could literally feel her eyes on me.  When I got off to transfer downtown, she got off too.  She got on the same bus, the Number Seven Nanaimo.   This time she sat right behind me.  I was starting to feel rather creeped, to say the least.  I was beginning to feel nervous, so I got off a couple of stops early.  She followed me.  I arrived at the church for Sunday high mass,  and Isabel sat down just two rows behind me..."

No comments:

Post a Comment