Wednesday 3 July 2024

The Peacock 1290

 We have combined two tables and chairs in the back of the coffee shop, our americanos steaming among us.  Carl's back faces the distant door.  We should have enough privacy if no one talks loud.

"I imagine you are all surprised about this, but first, I want to assure everyone that I am not complicit with this individual."

"We heard you shouting at him last night just before the police came", says François.  "You said you'd told him not to come, to go away, to leave everyone alone.  Have you been in contact with him?"

"Several times.  After my father died, he kept pestering me and Melissa to join ranks with him and his network.  We refused.  He would frequently turn up at the house to see my father.  Melissa and I were not permitted to be any part of those visits.  and we didn't want to be.  We found him creepy and scary.  "We also think that he shot our father.  That's why we had to get away.  Only in the last couple of weeks did he resume contact, texting and emailing me to let him come to the house.  He had plans for everyone.  I kept telling him no.  I tried to block him several times.  Then, yesterday, he said he was landing here at the airport."

"Why didn't you tell us any of this", say I.

"I was scared.  This person has a lot of power..."

No comments:

Post a Comment