Wednesday 18 September 2024

1368

 "You miss Mommy, don't you", murmurs Chelsea in Dorothy's ear. Both women appear pale, distressed and forlorn.

"I miss her terribly.  We both miss her", says Dorothy,.calmed to a sustained whimper.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" say I lamely to the two vulnerable sad women.

"Can you put the candies in a bowl", says Chelsea.  "There should be plenty for everyone."

"Yes", echoes Dorothy, "Plenty for everyone."

And I find in the buffet a big cut crystal bowl into which I dump the candies, where they glisten in their individual foil wrappers, purple, green, blue, orange and gold

"Come sleep in the house tonight, Dorothy.  I don't want you to be alone tonight.  I don't want to be alone tonight."

"Yes, that should be fine, Chelsea", she says, now composing herself.  "We'll both sleep tonight in your grandmother's house."

"Candy"? says Chelsea, placing a gold wrapped bonbon into the open hand of her grieving stepmother...

No comments:

Post a Comment