Friday 27 September 2024

The Peacock 1377

"What is she like?" says Jesús. "She looks like a librarian. But if I didn't know she was trans, I would have had trouble guessing", say I. "But I also know that there is something about the ageing process that gradually erases gender in people " "She looks pretty authentic", says Francois. Says Carl, "i would like to know how she juxtaposes transitioning to female with her sense of having no gender. is there more about that in her book." I guess I can read a bit more. But then it's sleepy time. "Philip did want to know why then, I would transition, knowing that like him, I really had no sense of gender. And that has been a difficult question to answer. i eventually told him first in a couple of letters, but later in person when we started having coffee together in Toronto when he moved there to pursue his dance career, that this has been for me one hell of a learning curve. As for my many care and service providers. I came to realize that all of us had been confusing my sense of androgyny with really wanting to be femañe. Except for one salient little detail. I identified totally with being a woman. Even though I don't have a uterus, neither have I ever menstruated, I have at some level always felt that I should and that somehow I ought to. And yet, to this very day, if I close my eyes and try to imagine my body, there is nothing that will mark me as having gender. I simply am. " "You say she is a priest" says Jesús. "Anglican priest", says Carl. "She would never be permitted in the Catholic faith." "Lucky her", says Jeffrey.

No comments:

Post a Comment