Monday 23 September 2024

The Peacock 1373

Two weeks following our first and only meeting, they found Hermione's body near the river, naked with the genitals cut out and placed in her mouth. It turned out she had a life partner, a wealthy businessmn from Toronto who lived with her part time in the town during the summers. He also disappeared, mysteriously, and was never found, nor do we know if he is dead or alive. At least I had solved the riddle about Hermione's key to success. It seems that it would take a devoted sugar daddy to move even bigger mountains than the faith of a grain of mustard seed. The rector henceforth ordered me to have nothing further to do with the indigenous community. Hermione was the only First Nations person who ever attended church, alone, her wealthy partner being consipicuously absent. The local Anglican diosese had had little success in winning over the other indigenous townspeople, though a good number of them did attend the Pentecostal church just up the street. Nothing else noteworthy occurred. I simply assisted with the eucharist, and paid pastoral visits, sometimes accompanied by the rector, but then in my final month I was allowed to go out alone. That was when I met Philip, with whom I am still to this day in contact...

No comments:

Post a Comment