Tuesday 17 September 2024

The Peacock 1367

 Dorothy is seated on the couch, flanked by Carol and Chelsea, a look of horror having seized her face.  Then she says in a flat and toneles voice, "My piñata"  George, Jeffrey, Jesús and Carl, have all been scooping up the scattered candies.  And now Sarah gets up off the chair, kneels down and begins to pick up the broken pieces and shards of the fallen piñata.  I run into the kitchen and pull a plastic bag from under the kitchen sink.  Back in the living room, I hold out the open bag

"You guys."  No one seems to hear me at first.  Then, I shout, "You guys!"  They all stop except for Jesús, who wants to harvest the very last of the fallen bonbons.  "You too Jesús."

He looks up at me stupidly from the floor.  "In the bag, every last one of the candies.  Right now. "  And they all obey without cavil.  

"Dorothy", say I, presenting her the bag, "I am so sorry for what just happened.  here are all the candies that were in the piñata.  She holds the bag on her knees and suddenly starts weeping, a thin keening wail ascending from her mouth. Chelsea and Carol both support her with arms around her shoulders.  Slowly she gathers herself.

"I am so sorry for all the fuss I just made.  "i am so dreadfully sorry", and she begins to convulse with sobs. François has just brought her a glass of wáter.  I am crouched down in front of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment