Saturday 7 September 2024

The Peacock 1357

 "If you don't like the name, then why are you smiling", says George.

"I have long been in the habit of smiling about things I don't like.  After our shared career you-know-where, I am sure you are among the last of persons who need explaining-"

"Touché", says George.

"whatever are you two talking about", wonders Chelsea.

"Our shared history with the monastery", says Jeffrey, smirking

"Oh yes, that is right.  You are all Catholic priests."

"Ex-Catholic priests." corrects François.

"and we are not discussing this any further tonight", says George.

"Were you excommunicated", asks Dorothy, who doesn't appear to have a great gift for tact.  In fact, I am really struggling about whether I could like her.

"I believe you heard us the first time", says George, who this time is not smiling.

"If you mean the Westminster abbey in Mission, I was actually there on retreat last year with my meditation group", says Dorothy.  "Wonderful place."

"How long have you had your store", says Carl, determined to shut her up about the abbey, the Catholic Church and the priesthood.

"How long would that be, Chelsea?  You were fifteen when we came over here from the UK, and I think we opened Magic just two years later, and right now you would be thirty-four.  So seventeen years.  And of course, I can understand your desire to leave the Catholic Church, because despite the lovely abbey and suchlike, religion is all total bullshit."

"More ratatouille for you", asks Jeffrey.

"Maybe later.  I would fancy a glass of wine if you have any..."


No comments:

Post a Comment