Monday 19 April 2021

The Peacock 135

 "It started with the Shepherd's Call, the Jesus' People coffee house.  I first visited New Year's Day 1971.  Just three days before, I had accepted Jesus into my heart.  It all happened very quickly and precipitously.  I was downtown four days after Christmas, spending my Christmas money when I encountered a man with long shoulder length hair and a beard who reminded me of Jesus speaking with a Cockney British accent.  He was selling a Christian newspaper, the Goad, for donations.  He asked me if I believed in Jesus and we began to talk on the street corner, till, no longer able to tolerate the cold, I suggested we go into a coffee shop nearby, where we continued for the next two or three hours.  I had never met someone like this before.  He was simultaneously joyful, kind, grounded, spiritual and totally authentic.  I was invited back to the house where he lived with several other Christian young men that evening for dinner.  I accepted.  While sitting with them in their living room after dinner, I felt almost overwhelmed with this warm wave of wellbeing, peace and joy.  It was like being pleasantly stoned on the best pot I could have ever smoked.   I was told they were all going up to one of the bedrooms to talk more privately, and was invited to join them, which I did. 

"Even though I was just fourteen, I was not naive, but already streetwise.  But I knew intuitively that these people could be trusted.  In fact, it seemed imperative that I go with them.  When we had sat and made ourselves comfortable on the beds or parts of the floor, they started to pray together.  Then someone, Richard, the Cockney Jesus, I think, asked me if I wanted to be saved.  I wasn't sure what he meant.  Then he asked if I wanted to ask Jesus into my heart and I said, yes, not really having a clue what I might be getting myself into, but it was too late already.  I knew that I had to do this, so I gave my consent.  I got on my knees.  Those friendly kind young men, some of whom had already suffered more than their share of life blows, now dedicated to the service of the one who will not reject us, prayed for me, and asked Jesus to come into my heart.  I consented.  I can't say that I felt really different, but I knew that something had changed, that something new had just started for me.  I rode the bus home to Richmond that night, a long ride, and watched the rain illuminated by the street lights on the window into something so lovely to behold.  I had never seen something so simple or so beautiful,  But already my eyes were being opened in a new way..."


I was invited to their watchnight, or New year's Eve service at the Fountain Chapel, the black church in Strathcona that invited us to use their premises.  As midnight drew near, we were all on our knees in prayer and I started weeping.  I cannot remember why, but I sensed something very beautiful was happening inside of me and all I could do was consent to it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment