Friday 23 April 2021

The Peacock 139

 "Sven was a third year psychology student at UBC, age twenty-three, presentably handsome, and he picked me up hitchhiking the following Friday night on my way into Vancouver for an evening at the Shepherd's Call. He took me downtown instead where we went for coffee in a diner where I had already had coffee a couple of times with new friends from the Jesus People.  Sven then drove me to the Shepherd's Call.  I didn't invite hm, neither did he invite himself, because I already was aware that I was doing something wrong.  

"We soon started a brief affair, and an illegal one, given that I was still fourteen and legally a child.  Had police been involved, he likely would have ended up in prison for a while.  By the end of the month it was all over, for me anyway.  He tried to have sex with me, and it was traumatizing me, so I ended it.  The following Saturday, I sought out my friends from the Jesus' People in a diner, the Black Angus on Robson, downtown.  I told them what had happened, and I was weeping. They received me with open arms and I spent the rest of the day with them.  I was invited for dinner but I declined, not wanting to create further problems with Mom.  I remember walking along Broadway west from Main Street with a lady in her late twenties, named Patricia, and having the most amazing conversation as we walked towards the Shepherd's Call together, just a block and a half west of Granville.

"The following weekend, in the basement of the Shepherd's Call.  There were people seated on the concrete floor, in a circle, having a prayer meeting.  A friend of my brother's, who had recently accepted Jesus, was present.  That was the evening I was baptized in the Holy Spirit..."

No comments:

Post a Comment