Sunday 18 April 2021

The Peacock 134

 "You raised him from the dead", Carl says.

"To this day, I still don't know what happened, only that it seemed remarkable."

"They became afraid of you."

"What do you mean?" says Aaron.

"Do you remember the people imploring Jesus to leave their region once he had delivered the man from many demons? People can't live with that kind of wonder.  It is too frightening, too threatening for them.  Most Christians don't want the miraculous, nor any reminder that they are not completely in control of their lives.  If you are going to really know God, and I can't say that that has yet happened for me, then you have to be prepared to give up control, and that for people is very frightening."

"It's something I prefer not to give much thought to," says Aaron, sighing wearily.

"Can't say I blame you.  It is very costly having your kind of calling, Aaron."

"All I've ever wanted was a normal life."

"But God has had a different calling for you.  To walk with him.  Aaron, your beginnings in the Christian faith were rather, shall we say, different from the ordinary?"

"That's something I've always wondered about you", I say.  "I mean, we hardly knew each other in St. James, but things were said, and I wasn't sure about what to make of then.  And yes, I did hear about how you both raised Father Wright from the dead."

"They were actually saying that?"

"I guess it was all inferred, rather.  But Aaron", I say, suddenly overwhelmed by curiosity, "How did you become a Christian?"

"How much time do we have?"

"It's 9:00, now, says Carl.  "We have an hour before coffee break."


No comments:

Post a Comment