Thursday 22 April 2021

The Peacock 138

 Aaron continues: "This was the start of rather a messy month, I'm afraid.  I spent New Year´s Day with the Jesus' People.  They were doing a baptism at English Bay. no it was not the Polar Bear Swim, that was happening further down the beach, and yes, it was cold.  I didn't feel ready yet to get baptised, and it was just as well.  Later, they took me to the new coffee house, the Shepherd's Call, which was scheduled to open very soon.  Rick and Lorne gave me a ride home.  Mom was there.  She was not happy to meet them, was rude and hostile, and Rick was also there, giving her support.  I was of course outnumbered, and I think that she would have preferred that I go on smoking pot and drinking beer instead of serving the Lord.  She forbade me from ever seeing the Jesus People again, and I was on my way downtown to see them at the Shepherd's call coffee House, on their opening night.

"I had never been to a coffeehouse before, much less a Christian coffeehouse.  I was probably the youngest visitor, and for me it was rather exhilarating to be hanging out with bona fide adults, even if they weren't the kinds of folks that Mom approved of.  There were singers, I remember a young woman with a guitar, a sweet soprano voice singing about Jesus.  It was lovely.  The people were warm, kind and inviting.  I felt at home there.

"Mom wasn't bothering to ask me about where I was going, since she was working Friday and Saturday nights late, catering for banquets and usually spending the night with her boyfriend.  Rick my brother was out drinking and using drugs with his friends or off with his girlfriend.  They couldn't keep track of me, and I was getting around by hitchhiking.  Then, the following Friday night, I met Sven, and if there was ever evidence that Satan was out to derail my new faith in Christ then it couldn't have come in a more charming package..."

No comments:

Post a Comment