Thursday 19 May 2022

The Peacock 520

 "Adam", says Sheila, "I have sometimes wondered if you could be the same person as the boy I used to see.  A boy in dreams.   I suppose that I could elucidate here.  I first saw this person when I was still a child.  The house that I bought with Frank, where I lived for four decades and raised all my children", and she glances sharply at Michael, and adds, "Including you, my little son",  and Michael responds with an ironic chortle.  "while that house was being occupied by the Portuguese family, the de Souza's I first came upon him.  The old woman still living there alone, all dressed in black, was seated on the front porch, and there he was standing next to her  This would have been around 1950, or so, I would have been just approaching my twelfth birthday.  He was maybe around fourteen or fifteen, maybe sixteen, a bit tall, and beautiful, with dark golden hair and what appeared to be amber green eyes.  He had very clear, pale skin, almost like ivory, and was dressed in a way that seemed peculiar for the fifties, though now would seem quite normal and contemporary, in faded  blue jeans and a white collarless shirt.  They did not appear to be talking, nor even interacting with each other.  He appeared almost to be somehow guarding her, watching over or protecting her in some way.

"I never saw this boy again until more than ten years later, when I was a young bride and with my new husband purchasing that same house.  I think the first dream came just after we moved in, and just before I conceived and became pregnant with Michael..."

No comments:

Post a Comment