Wednesday 25 May 2022

The Peacock 526

 "I was there", says Adam.  "I don't know how I got there, and I still recall nothing of what happened in my life before, nor even if I ever had a life.  I was there, in that big house, even bigger than this mansion, and even more magnificent, but I was there alone, except, from time to time, he would visit me."

"He?" asks Sheila.

"The boy you dreamed about.  I thought he was my brother."

"You do look alike", says Sheila.

"He would have breakfast with me.  Then we would clean up together, and suddenly he was gone.  He would reappear at the end of the day.  He would make dinner and we would dine together, then we would sit in the library where he would read to me, mostly children's stories."

"What did you guys talk about?" says Carl.

"Nothing."

"Nothing?"

"It didn't seem to occur to either of us that there was any need to talk.  But he was there with me.  I took great comfort in his presence.  And then Mother appeared."

"The tall old woman with the wild hair", says Sheila.

"Exactly", says Adam.  "She gave me the eggs."

"The Faberge eggs", says Matthew...

No comments:

Post a Comment