Tuesday 1 October 2024

The Peacock 1381

"I'm going to bed " say I. "I go too" says Jesús, who preceeds me and now I hear the bathroom door closing. Just as well. I am in no hurry to get to sleep. First, I will rob from my father's library CS Lewis' Chronicals of Narnia. And here they are, all seven in vintage hardcover. And now it occurs to me that Jesús doesn't have any proper bedding. Yes, here in the hall closet. Sheets, blankets, pillows and pillowcases, all bundled in my arms. He is done in the bathtroom. "Jesús, here is something for your bed." He is just opening the door to the office, where he will be sleeping on the sofabed. We are well equipped here for overnight guests, and we have had many over the years. "Thank you very much", he says. "Here, let me make up your bed for you. There is a special trick to pulling out the bed." The sofa is bright red and covered by a white cotton bedspread jesús pulls it off and holds onto it while I gently pull out the bed. "I hope you find this comfortable", say I , laying on the bottom sheet. "It looks very nice. Thank you. I can help?" "It's okay, there's a chair in the corner if you want to sit down." He obeys, and soon the bed is made. "You have many books here." "My dad was quite a scholar. Do you read English okay?" "Better than I speak it." "Then you will find something interesting to read in bed." "You are going?" "Yes, i'm getting tired",, I lie. "five minutes to talk a bit?" He is yawning. "Okay, just five minutes", I am sighing, positioning myself on the edge of the desk, where I can sit alert, facing him in the corner...

No comments:

Post a Comment