Saturday 5 October 2024

The Peacock 1385

I don't want to respond. Yes, I know I'm beilng churlish., but I should and will respond. Instead of faking an even cheerier good morning in response, I am already reaching for the bread and the word "Toast", trickles out of my mouth. "Yes please", he says. To this day, I have never known anyone who could be so relentlessly cheerful first thing in the morning. "Haven't you made coffee?" "Sorry", I forgot" I reply as i leave the bread next to the toaster and reach down in the lower cupboard for the coffee. "Here, let me", he says, pulling out the coffee maker. While reaching back for the toaster the loaf of bread falls from my hand onto the floor. "Sorry." I apologize reflexively, like any good Canadian "I..." "I'm sure the bread isn't offended", says Carl, reaching down to pick it up. "Why don't you sit down and I'll do it." "I..." "Chris", he says smiling, pulling my chair out from the table. "Sit. Brother Carl will take care of everything." "But", "Obey", he is standing by the chair with one hand on the back... Knowing I'm already defeated, I let myself slide onto the chair, secretly gratified, if also resentful, that Carl one more time is taking care of me...

No comments:

Post a Comment