Thursday 5 March 2020

Costa Rica Again 4

It is hard writing about nothing, Gentle Reader, and that is precisely what I am about to do.  From the intensity of Colombia to the chill peacefulness of Costa Rica is a transition that I am not about to complain about.  I am not complaining by the way.  I love Colombia and I love Colombians, as well one of my best recent friends happens to live in that country, so of course I am going to return.  I equally love both places and both peoples, for largely different reasons, but also for the same reason.  Both Colombians and Costa Ricans are equally kind and generous. 

I did have a good sleep last night, and got so distracted working on a new drawing in my room this morning that I forgot about the time and almost missed breakfast, but they still had something for me.  I call it el desayuno de los camioneros, or the truckers' breakfast, featuring gallo pinto (beans and rice), two eggs and toast.  Very substantial.  Then I read some of my early blogposts, since I am using this time in Monteverde to go over my blog and mine it for material.  I am doing research in order to prepare for a presentation that I want to give for each of the three mental health teams I work with in Vancouver, before I officially retire, and I also plan on kicking a few asses, so I had might as well prepare for not having a job much longer.  And I expect it is going to be interesting. 

During my first long walk today, I saw two morpho butterflies.  Here is a video and photo to refresh our memory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Ts7CsJDpg

Image result for morpho butterfly images

Then I sat in a cafe where I worked on a new drawing. and indulged in some gringo-watching, since this place is always crawling with tourists,  I really prefer the local people, though from time to time I do engage with the odd decent and friendly visitor.  I took another long walk, wandered for a bit on a small trail in a forested area, and saw several white throated magpie jays:

Image result for white throated magpie jays images

I stopped at La Cuchara de Abuela, or Grandma's Spoon for a vegetarian casado, a uniquely Costa Rican dish featuring, beans, rice, salad, cooked vegetables, cheese and fried plantain, and an enjoyable chat with the lady working there, all in Spanish.  A young American couple were struggling to manage their hyper-energetic four year old boy who kept running into the restaurant brandishing his grandma's cane, twice nearly hitting me with it.  When I asked his dad if grandma might be missing her cane, he joked, "No, she's fine on the floor."  Probably his mother-in-law.  The weather has been sunny and mild all day, and the leaves positively glitter in the tropical sunlight. All for now, ducks.

No comments:

Post a Comment