Friday 6 March 2020

Costa Rica Again 5

Another low impact kind of day.  I walked down the mountain almost to San Luis and stopped at the two lookout benches where I enjoyed an unfettered view of the mountains, and the ocean and the Nicoya Peninsula in the distance.  Then there was the long and arduous walk back up, but I survived okay.  I stopped again in the Café Monteverde for three hours, working on some art and Gringo-watching.  Two of the staff used to work at other establishments last year, and both greeted me very warmly in Spanish and it was great chatting with them.  Then two loud and obnoxious American women sat on the couch opposite me, and I was not sad to see them leave, followed by a really pleasant Canadian couple from Montreal (English speaking) who were curious about my art.  We visited for quite a while, and it turns out they are here in Costa Rica to learn English, so I helped them get registered on the Conversation Exchange Page, which has been invaluable to me for helping me connect with native Spanish speakers.  This was the first lengthy conversation I had in English since arriving in Colombia more than three weeks ago, and I now speak English with a Spanish accent.  Really!!!!  Then I went to the café next door for a bite to eat where I had a lovely chat in Spanish with the lady who works there.  Now I am back at the bed and breakfast.  Sunny, mild temperatures, and very windy today.  Kind of awesome, actually.  Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment