Saturday 28 March 2020

Quarantined, Days 7 and 8

Well, if you must know, Gentle Reader, I'm feeling rather well today.  So far, no symptoms, and still managing to get out for a walk while maintaining safe distance from others.  And I am sleeping surprisingly well.  The streets are quiet, and despite the circumstances, I like quiet.  People are fearful, some even paranoid.  That's to be understood and accepted.

Yesterday I did a good six and a half mile walk.  This morning, I am still feeling well, almost uncommonly well.  I am not at all worried about this pandemic. I think that living at and near ground zero during the AIDS pandemic really toughened and seasoned me.  God also feels very close, and I am enjoying my daily Skype visits with my two friends in Colombia, and more frequent contact with other friends.

I'm doing a lot of art, not a lot of reading, except in bed, and then I'm so tired, I just have to put the book down after a couple of perhaps then turn out the light.

I of course listen to CBC in the mornings, enough to make me concerned, but not miserable, because the air is usually pretty quiet in my apartment during the afternoons and evenings.  I was binge-watching Murdoch Mysteries and Schitt's Creek, my favourite TV programs on CBC, and now that that's done, I will probably be watching more videos in Spanish.

This pandemic makes me imagine the first Passover in Egypt, when the Children of Israel were all hunkered down in their homes and the Angel of Death was doing his thing among the Egyptians.  Later, liberation.  I like this image and have decided to own this as my personal theme for this crisis. 

All the tragic results of the dismantling of our social safety net are now coming back to bite us in the ass during this crisis.  Well on the late side, our governments are finally starting to make a real effort to support and help the people who elect them.  Small steps.  We still need a nationwide, comprehensive and aggressive housing program to get everyone off the street.  There is also reasonable hope that we are already seeing a sea change in social political and fiscal policy, and it is becoming evident that a pragmatic government is also going to be a compassionate government.  Wait and see, perhaps, but I am optimistic.   

No comments:

Post a Comment