Wednesday 17 March 2021

The Peacock 102

 I cannot let this go, or I am not going to let it go.  I have to ask him,

"Excuse me, isn't your name Jeff?"

He seems so focussed and fixated on the irises he is watering that he had might as well be reciting the rosary.  

"Excuse me, is your real name Edward or is it Jeff.  George referred to you this morning as Jeff."

He continues to focus on watering the irises.  I know when I am being ignored.  I am not letting this one go, otherwise, more trouble ahead.  I grab the hose nozzle from his hand.

"Will you please answer my question?"  I am shouting at him.

"Only if you return to me the hose", he says patiently.

"First tell me your real name.  I am not tolerating any more games around here."

"You are going to be learning to tolerate an awful lot more, while you are staying here, Cosme."

"My name is Christopher.  Now tell me your real name."

"First the hose."

"You tell me your fucking name!"

"Then first give me back my fucking hose."

Just when I am about to turn the nozzle on him and give him a good dousing, the water is suddenly shut off.  We both stare at the golden brass nozzle, too dumbfounded to continue squabbling.

"Jeff, you're needed back at the house."  The voice belongs to Carl.

He stares rather stupidly at the guest master.  "The irises", he sputters moronically.

"No need to worry.  I'll look after them.  Now go, please, they´re moving some furniture in the reception room and we need all the hands we can get."

"Can't you do it?" he says defiantly

Grabbing the hose nozzle from his hand, Carl says, "I will not have you upsetting one of my guests, Jeff.  Now, please, you are needed at the house."

Jeff tries to stare him down, but realises he is no match for Carl.  Without so much as looking my way, he skulks off to the house.

Carl turns on me a big hundred watt grin, then lets the hose nozzle drop onto the the grass.  He walks over to me and puts his arm around my shoulder.  "Let's walk to the magnolia."

"The irises", I say, disengaging from his arm.

"Fuck the irises.  Let's go."  He is laughing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment