Monday 8 March 2021

The Peacock 93

"Jeff and I both came here at the same time", says George.

"Jeff is..."

"You met him last night at dinner, the blond guy."

Well, I could hardly say that I met either one of them, nor did anyone else, they were being so rude and taciturn, but I decide to shelve that little dig for later.

"Was he also at the monastery?"

"We were admitted almost simultaneously.  We actually go back quite a few years."

"What happened there?"

"Long story", he replies.  "And boring."

"Which is to say you'd rather not tell me."

"Right now, no, there isn't time, and I really have to get back for matins before anyone notices that I'm missing.  He gets up, waves and heads for the door.  "Talk to you later."  Then he pauses, his face looking both a little anxious and a little bit conspiratorial, "Oh, and one other thing please, Christopher.  No one knows that we had this visit.  Especially not Carl.  Agreed?"

"Especially not Carl."

"That's right.  'Bye."  As he leaves through the door that never did get closed when he followed me in here and I was naked, I reach for my laptop, open my GMail and what can it be but a reply from Erik...


No comments:

Post a Comment