Tuesday 30 March 2021

The Peacock 115

 "It only got worse.  The Abbey felt like something terrible had changed.  People seemed aloof, distant and quite preoccupied, and there appeared to be different ritual bonfires burning all over the property.  Other things suggested to me that there was something really wrong, but I could not get to the bottom of it, and I felt perpetually menaced.  I returned to Vancouver, and in the café was befriended by a young guy in his early twenties (I was thirty), who conceived a passion for me, said he was homeless and asked if he could stay with me, so, stupidly, I invited him to couch surf.  He tried to jump my bones, I didn't respond, so he got vindictive.  'Remember that time at Benjamin's (the café) when you said to me that the younger and prettier they are, the nastier they get when you turn them down?' he said,' Well, I'm going to really make sure that you never forget that you said that.' So this flakey, dishonest, completely unreliable and absolutely vindictive young man befriended my satanic neighbours upstairs, and helped facilitate their curses against me.  I won't go into detail about how I got him out of my apartment days later, but unfortunately I had to use his cocker spaniel as a hostage.  Very effective, though I am not proud of what I had to do.  The dog lived, by the way!  It also turned out that he always did have a place to stay and didn't need my couch.  He really only wanted to have sex with me.

"As soon as Christian was gone, I gave my notice and moved to the apartment on Burnaby Street.  Still pretty noisy but at least I was no longer under threat and actually did get some much needed rest.  I did have various people over to visit, for  coffee or a meal, sometimes someone who was in need slept over a few nights, but it always seemed a bit uncomfortable, and I often sensed ulterior motives coming from them.  

"Duff came to stay with me in the fall. He told me about the farmhouse in Richmond.  A couple of weeks later, I went out to have a look.  It was in really sad condition..."

No comments:

Post a Comment