Thursday 18 March 2021

The Peacock 103

 "So his name really is Jeff."  We re taking a different route, on a path surrounded by carefully tended grass and trees.  "He introduced himself as Edward."

"There's a story here, isn't there?", says Carl.

I refrain from answering.

"Christopher, please, I would like you to dignify that with a reply."

"Shall I tell you everything, then?"

"I wouldn't mind."

"It started early this morning just after I got up.  I was just coming out of the shower, and there was the Filipino guy, George."

"And you were bare ass naked", Carl says laughing.

"I actually was naked."

"What was George doing in that part of the house?"

"He said he was monitoring the halls, that it was something they do every morning."

"I am going to have a word with their superior about this."

"Their superior?"

"They're a kind of quasi monastic order.  They have been with us here now for about thirteen years.  most of them are refugees from the Benedictine monastery across the way."

"So, he wasn't supposed to be there this morning?"

"No.  Unless Doug put the idea in his head."

"Doug?"

"Their superior."  We pause to look at two black squirrels scampering after each other in one of the trees. "What else happened?"

"Well, he followed me into my room."

"While you were naked."

"Yes."

Carl is silent, and for a moment so am I.

"Oh, he was perfectly well behaved.  He just sat in the chair where you were last night and chatted a bit while I got dressed. Then he left. He told me not to tell you he was there."

"That doesn't surprise me either."

"I guess I should have covered myself."

"No need to worry about that. nothing wrong with having a human body, you know.  But I am going to have a word with George, with Jeff and with Doug." 

We have arrived by this alternate route to the southern magnolia.  There is Aaron, seated on one of the benches.  He has a sketchbook on his knee, and is busy working with coloured pencils...



No comments:

Post a Comment