Wednesday 24 March 2021

The Peacock 109

 "When I knew you at St. James," I say, "Back in the day,  I would say we were all mystified about your community.  Could you explain it a bit?"

"How much time do we have before coffee break?" says Aaron.

"It's just before nine right now," Carl says.  "We have an hour."

"I will try not to make this too boring", says Aaron.

"You are not boring", says Carl.

"Oh, you flatterer!  You do know how to make an old man feel young again."

"And you're not the first guy who's ever told me that."

"Oh, just listen to it," says Aaron, cackling loudly.  "It's the Fountain of Youth personified!"

Now we are all laughing.  There seems to be a new flower about to unfurl on the southern magnolia.  

Aaron resumes his talk, "It all sort of began with Doug and me."

"Doug", say I.

"That would be Douglas.  He is the superior of the community here."

"Oh, really?" say I.  "Small world, eh?"

"And you two are very much alike", says Aaron.

"Now, no stooping to character assassination", says Carl.

"I was only teasing, but yes, dear, darling Douglas.  Once a piece of work, always a piece of work."

"Do continue", says Carl...


No comments:

Post a Comment