Saturday 6 August 2022

The Peacock 600

 

I sleep till early morning.  Now the sky is brightening, especially on the horizon, then I know that I am going in an eastward direction.  Suddenly I see someone, a very tall human figure, dressed in a hooded robe.  It is blood read in colour, so vibrant in this desolate landscape.  i only see his back because he is standingk, looking at the horizon.  very slowly, the figure turns around, in order to see me, showing me the face of the angel.

It's you", I say.

"Yes, it is I.  And your are the Blessing of Gratitude."

"And you.  Who are you?"

"I wear many names.  Each person calls me what they want.  What is your name for me, friend?

"You are the Spark of God."

"Tu eres Centella de Dios."

"So I am", And the angel smiles, then lowers his hood to show his golden and shining hair.  His face is just a little bit wide, angular, with prominent cheekbones and perfectly formed nose, lips nd chin.  And his eyes, very dark eyes, although full of light, like sparks from the sun.  "Let´s go", he says.

"You are coming with me?"

"I's a dangerous route.  You will be glad for the presence of someone with you.

First, will you have breakfast with me?"

"And then we will go."

We are seated on the grass under the cypress, for breakfast.  There is a loaf of bread.  I give it to the angel, who breaks the bread in two, giving me the larger half.  The wine in the bottle has turned into water.  After the fruit, the Angel drops the seeds on the grass.  I do the same.  We get up, and start moving.  Spark of God walking in front, along the twisted path of the black serpent.

We walk in silence.  The Spark of God walks a little ahead, and I follow him.  I want to speak, to say whatever I can in order to break the silence.  I only feel resistance.  It is not for lack of things to say.  My mind is filled with ideas, images, thoughts, dreams.  Everything is in silence, there is nothing else to do but move forward.  The light cloud is becoming a bit bigger, heavier.  The sun just filtres through, but we are cool.  Occasionally there is a solitary cypress, the only living things in this desolate landscape.  I finally find my tongue and my voice.

"What about the cypresses?"

"Yes, aren't they lovely?"

"Very elegant."

"What would you like to know?"

"Are they the only trees?"

"They are not trees."

"No?"

"They are vigilant guardians.

"What!"

"Did you sleep well last night"?

"Very well.  Extremely well."

"They are the guardians of the earth.  Only because of their presence will there be redemption."

"Huh?"

"I am not here to answer your questions."

"But--"

"You want to tell me something."

I don't respond.  Really I can't tell the things that are coming to fruition in my mind, and the Angel, it would seem, is the only one to whom I can tell these things, but the words remain obstructed, and I remain silent, and without saying anything more, I follow my new friend.  Now it is late afternoon.  We stop in the shade of a cypress.  The Angel, Spark of God, is standing, in front of the setting sun.  He lifts above his head the loaf of bread in both hands, breaks it, and gives me the bigger half.  Then He raises up the silver bottle in both hands, and it is shining like gold in the last ray of light.  Now it is night when we finish dinner.  he opens his red robe, revealing his naked and muscular body.  He extends to me the fabric and brings me close to him, enclosing us both in his red robe.  I lie in his strong arms, my head resting on his chest, and very soon I am sleeping.

I awake at daybreak.  I am alone, but I don't know.  There is something strange that I cannot understand.  So typical of these last few days.  the drought began four months ago, then everything died, and everything dried up.  That was when Raúl decided to seek out the springs and the underground rivers.  First Raúl and Juan, but Yolanda insisted, also insisting that both of us join them.  There is an ancient prophesy that long after the conquest by the pale people, all the water would vanish from the earth, all water except the hidden springs and rivers, and soon after the rains would return.  

A young man comes from the other side of the cypress.  

"I was peeing", he says.  He looks like the angel, only shorter, wearing regular clothes, jeans and a white T shirt.

"Carlos.  What's up?"

"Carlos?"

"Your name, kiddo.  Yolanda and Juan are waiting for us.  Are you coming or not?"

"Juan?"

"That is me, brother, I have finally found you.  Let´s go!"

My face must have an incredibly stupid look right now.

I search the ground, but cannot find the bag of maroon velvet.

"Are you hungry?  From his maroon coloured knapsack, Juan offers me three granola bars, and also a plastic bottle of water.

"Let´s go kid.  They´re waiting for us over there."  And we walk along the twisted road of the serpent towards the horizon.







No comments:

Post a Comment