Monday 22 August 2022

The Peacock 614

 Carl says, to Michael, "An explanation please."  This is not a request.  It is an order.  He is quiet, grim and severe, a side to Carl very new to me.  "How are you?" he says to Sarah, who has already quickly recomposed herself.

"I am partly to blame", she says.  "I really ought to control my tongue, and my temper."

"Sarah", says Maureen tenderly.  "It's okay.  We have all been under a lot of pressure these last couple of days."

"Still, that's no excuse.  Everyone, I am so sorry for what just happened!"

Michael says, "Well, some of you heard today at the Sunrise, that Sarah and I do have a special bond, like brother and sister..."

"And",interjects his mother, "You  treat her very much the way you used to treat your own little sister.  Ruthlessly."

"Ah Mom, don't start."  Sheila stares her son down. Then Michael says with a very forced smile, "Mother is right.  As always.  Yes, Sarah, I treat you like my own little sister when we were kids.  Abominably."

"You were jealous of her", says Sheila.

"Mom, let me do my own explaining, please!"

No comments:

Post a Comment